March 07, 2023
How to make a smudge stick - a step by step guide
A simple step-by-step process on how to create a smudge stick at home for you:
1. Choose your herbs: You can use sage, cedar, lavender, rosemary, or any plants with medicinal properties.
2. Gather the herbs: You will need a bundle of the plants you have chosen. Ensure that they are still fresh and not dried out.
3. Cut the stems: Cut the stems so they are all the same length.
4. Tie the bundle: Take a string and tie the stems together. Make sure it is tight and will hold the herbs together.
5. Wrap: Wrap the string around the bundle several times, securing it in place.
6. Leave out to dry: Leave the bundle out in a dry area to dry out for a week. The herbs should be completely dry before continuing.
7. Trim: Once fully dried, trim the stems to ensure the bundle is even.
8. Burn: Light the smudge stick with a lighter, match or candle. Be cautious of sparks or loose ash.
9. Smudge: It's now time to smudge! Hold the bundle over a fireproof dish or a bowl with sand in it. Fan or blow out the flame once the bundle is smouldering. Using both hands, walk around your space to cleanse it with the herbs smoke.
10. Extinguish: When finished, extinguish the smudge stick by smothering the bundle with sand. This completes the smudging process.
Note: Be sure to do the smudging with guidance and intention, as it is an ancient technique that deserves your respect. You can purchase our full range of smudge sticks from our website at www.dantesluxury.com