10 Benefits Of Soy Candles For Your Home
Here at Dante’s Luxury we understand the importance of self care.
Sometimes the body just needs a moment to recover and relax after a long and busy day.
Our Crystal Candles have been a huge hit and we’re here to share the top 10 benefits of Soy Candles which you may not be aware of.
What Is A Soy Candle?
Soy Candles are Candles made from soy wax which is a processed form of soybean oil.
This makes the candles 100% vegan.
Brief History Of Candle Making
The earliest use of candles dates back as far as 3,000 B.C., when ancient Egyptians used papyrus reeds dipped in animal fat that they then lit to use as torches. Ancient Romans dipped wicks into tallow, a form of animal fat to create another early form of candles.
Other forms of candles which use plants, insects, seeds and nuts have since been found across Chinese, Japanese and Indian civilizations.
Today, paraffin and stearin remain two of the most common materials used in candles, along with beeswax, palm wax and soy wax.
There is some controversy regarding the safety of paraffin candles because of their emissions when burned.
A study conducted at South Carolina State University found that paraffin candles when lit releases toxic chemicals such as toluene, which is a benzene derivative, a known carcinogen for humans.
Since paraffin wax is derived from petroleum oil, the researchers suggest that using these candles frequently will cause “dangerous pollutants drifting in the air,” which can be harmful when inhaled.
However other studies have found that the chemicals release at such a small amount that it’s within the world health organisation guidelines.
One of the top benefits of Soy Candles is that it burns cleaner, as it derives from soybeans which are naturally biodegradable.
The truth is, inhalation of smoke in larger amounts will be harmful no matter the kind of wax. It can be difficult to decide what type of candle is right for you since most waxes are found to be safe in normal conditions. Continue reading to see our guide on safe candle use.
Benefits Of Aromatherapy For Mind, Body & Spirit
According to researchers, mental health benefits from burning candles. The science behind candles for health is rooted in the practice of aromatherapy.
A study published in the peer-reviewed journal explored the effect of inhalation of aroma on human brain functions and found that, "The sense of smell plays an important role in the physiological effects of mood, stress, and working capacity,"
Researcher found that humans have over 300 active Olfactory receptors genes devoted to detecting fragrance molecules. The activation of olfactory receptors in the nasal cavity results in olfactory receptor neurons sending an impulse to the brain's olfactory system.
Essentially there’s a direct correlation between pleasant smells and positive brainwaves.
Top 10 Benefits of Soy Candles
- Cleaner Burning: no toxins, carcinogens or pollutants. Which means it’s less likely to aggravate allergies
- Longer Lasting: Burns cooler than paraffin wax which means it burns up to 30-50% longer
- Biodegradable & Water Soluble: Soybeans are naturally biodegradable which makes it. easier to clean up a spill.
- Stronger scent: Scents are stronger in soy wax
- Sustainability: By creating candles out of soybean we’re creating products that don’t rely on animal fats, endangered species like the sperm whale or the destruction of the environment for crude oil.
- Create ambience: Lighting a candle for meditation, a bath, a date or any other intention is a great practice for setting an ambiance anywhere.
- Calm the Mind: Aromatherapeutic candles with floral and herbal aromas, like geranium, lavender, and peppermint, have been proven to be useful for the treatment of various psychological, physiological disorders and reduce anxiety.
- Improve your Mood: Scented candles can induce calm and help to alleviate symptoms of stress, with the ability to lower cortisol to support a positive mood.
- Stimulate Memory: Specific scents in candles can stimulate memory in the brain. The limbic system is the part of the brain that is home to our memory and emotions. Scent, emotion and memory are naturally connected.
- Sleep better: Make it your bedtime routine to disconnect with your phones and explore a candlelight meditation. Try candle gazing meditation to improve focus, cognition, mental health, sleep, and spiritual wellness.
Dante’s Luxury’s guide to safe candle-use.
A few things to keep in mind to burn candles safely:
- Avoid direct inhalation of the smoke
- Only use candles in ventilated spaces
- Always keep burning candles in view
- Do not use water to put out candles
- Extinguish candles before going to bed or leaving the area
Dante’s Luxury offers hand-poured soy candles made with premium soy wax topped with crystals and dried botanicals. Ideal for home décor, workspaces or given to a loved one as a gift. Check out our range today for all your crystal and self care needs.